Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Super Sadness.

This past Sunday watching the Super Bowl made me sad. It was a feeling I have not had as a sports fan in a long time, if ever. Sure I have been mad, frustrated, upset, angry, happy, euphoric, elated, and ecstatic. But I don't think I have ever felt sad.



http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/10-24/alcs_indians_red_sox_baseba_12_400.jpg
I remember feeling this...


Where did this sadness come from? After thinking about it I think it came from a place in me that is realizing that last decade is over and a new decade is beginning. A part of me that realized that a place like New Orleans, a place that needed a good story got one. People in Boston do not need good stories anymore, and frankly, we have not had a good story in a while. Now I know that there are people possibly reading this who are thinking, "what an ass. He has all these teams to root for and he is complaining." I am NOT complaining, I am not complaining at all. I am just sad, and here is why:

The city of Boston is on a downturn.
The Celts are old and falling apart. They cannot hold a lead against any decent teams.
The Patriots are getting older and really have not changed much since their run of good fortune. They have been static, change is needed and it does not seem likely.
The Bruins are still only playing hockey...
The Red Sox are in a weird period right now. I have no idea what to expect from them. They could win 83 games and only score 100 runs. Defensively they are outstanding, but it does not seem like they will be true contenders.

http://www.moonbattery.com/Red-Sox_fan.jpg
I just love this picture..

Last decade was a blessing as a Boston sports fan. This next decade started with me feeling sad, I felt sad because I watched New Orleans and for the first time as a sports fan I longed for what they had. I longed for a parade, I longed for championship game. I longed to root for the underdog. I longed for those things because only recently I had them, and now looking into the future, for the first time in a while, I am not feeling so confident that anything will be coming my way.

Here's hoping I am totally wrong in feeling sad...


Skiing Babe Lindsey Vonn might not compete in Olympics...yikes.

Strong words about Rasheed Wallace and his ineffective play on C's...

Nothing like a good soccer sex scandal inside the English National Team...

Henry handball ref going to World Cup while Ireland watches... Is FIFA just making a point by sending this guy? A sick part of me hopes a big team gets screwed in this tournament so things will actually be re-evaluated...

No comments: