Saturday, May 03, 2008

Thoughts before a game seven...

I figured I needed to get some thoughts out before Sunday's game seven, just so I can get some credit for any profound comment I make. Or so I can eat crow when I am way off base (much more likely).
Game six was a tough game to watch. I had the feeling nearly the whole game that the Hawks were going to pull out a win. The bandwagon fans were loud and the Hawks were feeding off of it. The refs were giving the Hawks every call going to the hoop, ending in a +22 free throw difference (47-25). The biggest foul call was the one against Pierce that caused him to foul out. It was a ticky-tack call that really had no bearing on the outcome of the play. His absence in the final 10 seconds when the C's had a chance to tie was huge. The Hawks could focus solely on Ray Allen and KG is a non-factor in a three point deficit.
Before last night's game my buddy Burke asked me if losing two games on the road was a big deal. I said losing two isn't bad, but losing three could be detrimental. They had the opportunity to exorcise the demons on the road, and all they did was awaken more demons.
Whatever happens in game seven it will be a microcosm of the entire series. Either a) the Celts earned home court and utilized it by dominating the Hawks in four games; or b) the favorite let the underdog stick around too long and let them believe they could win.
My favorite non-Celtic plot of the playoffs is getting to watch Tony Parker and Chris Paul battle for the next 34 weeks in their second round match-up. These two guys are so talented and although I don't think the match-up will predict the outcome (the benches and David West will decide that I believe) I think they will be truly entertaining. The teams split their regular season 2-2. Paul outscored Parker 22ppg to Parker's 19.5 ppg. Paul also had 9.5 assists to Parker's 5.5. It will be a fantastic series that I think the Hornets will take it in 7 games (I will get the crow ready for that one...)
Oh, and Celtics win by 20 in game seven and move on to play Cleveland...

No comments: