Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quick Hits

What a week of sports. Does it make me spoiled to say I am sick of hearing the phrase, "What a time to be a Boston sports fan!" Yes I know it is, and the key is to not let it slip by. This week I bought tickets to see the Sox play the Angels in the first two games in the series. On Tuesday at 1:00pm I had no tickets. By 2:30 I had two pair of tickets. The whole Beckett and Matsuzaka getting scratched was a big kick in the face, but to be at Fenway on probably the two best days weather wise of the year was worth it. The Sox have started in the complete opposite way I expected. The offense picked up Ortiz and managed to hit through his slump. Manny has been off the charts and Ellsbury is proving himself as a lead-off hitter for the next 12 years. He gets on base then flies around them. Watching him score the winning run from on a double down the third base line on Tuesday night was amazing. The guy is a talent, and I must say I am glad they didnt give him up for Santana...really

The Celts are rolling, but I am holding my breath mainly because, well the Hawks had 37 wins. The Celts won their 37th game on February 6. That was two and a half months ago... wake me up in three weeks when the second round starts. Are these guys getting enough rest?

The Pats have the draft this weekend and Matt Walsh is going to squeal regarding "Spygate." The draft pick the Pats lost could have very likely been used to bring Jason Taylor in, who the Dolphins are now shopping for draft picks. That punishment, handed down more than six months ago is finally starting to show its importance. The Patriots lost a player in this punishment. That is worse than anything in my mind. It is a punishment that will last 10 years, especially if the player taken in that spot ends up being a star. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think the Pats trade down. Here is hoping Matt Ryan drops to the seventh pick so the Pats have a good barganing chip. Nothing like a team desperate for a QB on draft day, and I think Matt Ryan is overrated, but that is the Holy Cross grad in me speaking...

If you haven't yet, please check out the video and pictures of my friend John Nicoletta who passed away two weeks ago in a skiing accident.

2 comments:

DOC said...

Nice Blog!!!! What about the big bad Bruins and the Revs??? And are the Lobsters still in operation??? Is this the best sports era for a Boston fan??? If not, which "era" was the best????? Are we limited by the short length of our own lives and do we view teams differently at different ages??? We are definitely spoiled right now!!! We will and do take these times for granted.

Unknown said...

What a time to be a boston sports fan!!

your old robin. aka burke.