Sunday, April 27, 2008

Draft thoughts and the pink hat disease

The NFL draft was this weekend, and frankly I have no idea what happened. In an effort to force it into primetime the NFL pushed back the start to 3:00pm instead of the the regular noon start. The first two picks were already known before the the draft even happened, it took away some of the excitement. In my mind there was no need to move the draft back, but hey I will never question the NFL... well not until they punish the Pats again for Spygate, then I will question it.

Speaking of questioning people, it boggles my mind that fans find a way to complain about the draft when the Pats have proven they know what they are doing. The Pats have their criteria for players to fill. They don't care what Mel Kiper Jr. and his hair think of Jarod Mayo and his "value." I am not going to critique the Pats' picks. All I know is they got younger on defense, especially at linebacker and defensive back. The one thing that surprised me was the drafting of a quarterback in the third round, seemed like a strange and early time to take a QB. Anyway, I cannot wait to see how their picks pan out...

One big reason I chose to attend Holy Cross was a columnist on espn.com who called himself the Sports Guy. He was an HC grad who I loved reading each week. He loved Boston sports, except for the Bruins. He felt neglected by ownership and disowned the franchise about 15 years ago. Last week we admitted to getting sucked onto the Bruins bandwagon this postseason.
I would never consider myself a "hockey guy." It never really sucked me in, and I have tried to get sucked in a little, usually around playoff time. Sure it is exciting, but part of me cannot allow myself to ignore an entire league during the regular season then become interested during the playoffs. Most hockey fans would reply "but playoff hockey is different." There lies the problem. I personally couldn't jump on the Bruins bandwagon, sure I listened to game seven last week (no TV at my disposal) but I would never call myself a fan. Although hockey would fight the thought of having "pink hat" fans, there are some. I guess you could call them "playoff hockey fans." If you see me cheering for the Bruins in the playoffs it is because I was on the bandwagon all year. As a fan of the Red Sox and Pats I find the new fans insufferable, they know no players and are off the bandwagon as soon as the team loses. I don't ever want to be like that.

The Sox finally have an off day, good god do they need it. Maybe their trip to Japan is catching up with their bats and their bullpen...

Links:

Tiger Wood's secret surgery...

Unreal finish to the English Premier League Season. Chelsea and Man. Utd. are tied with two games each left. United also has to play Barcelona on Tuesday to earn a spot in the Champions league Final. If you are a soccer fan this is the place to check out...

This old woman hates getting woken up from a nap too...

No comments: