Monday, April 27, 2009

Thoughts on things...

So...what a week of sports.

Bulls-Celts offering up one of the best playoff series in my memory (a short memory. But still...)
I was lucky enough to be at game 2 in the Garden. This series has been full of "Big Ball Shots"("BBS." As Ben "don't call me Jordan" Gordon proved in Game 4). Its funny to look back at the Celts-Hawks series last year. The Hawks gave the C's a run for their money, forced a game 7 and had Celtics Nation a bit scared. That C's team had Garnett. Now this Bulls team is pushing the C's to their limits. This C's team is playing SO MUCH better than the C's of last year's first round. These two teams have brought out the best in each other, and it has been really fun to watch.

If you want more Celtics thoughts from a true homer check out this from my buddy Tung...
http://loscy.wordpress.com/


Bruins Sweep Canadians
After some bitter loses to the Canadians in recent years the B's killed the Habs quickly and quietly. I walked into a Dicks Sporting Goods store this weekend and was inundated with Black and Gold. I thought for a split second I was in Pittsburgh or something awful like that. Then I realized that Dicks had flooded the entrance with Bruins gear. BRUINS GEAR! The inner struggle I am having right now is to not jump on the bandwagon... more to come on this later when the B's continue their playoff push.

NASCAR = Dangerous?
Um... a hockey and NASCAR paragraph in the same post... yes, its true. I am sorry. But this is pretty stunning stuff. Carl Edwards' car hurdled into the fence this weekend, in what I would call a perfect storm of an accident. If the fence wasnt there this might have happened...

Buzzer Beaters all over the place.
Is it me or have these playoffs had a bunch a buzzers beaters or late clutch shots? The Magic-Sixers Series has two games decided by a jumper hit in the last 2.0 seconds. The Celts-Bulls Series has been full of BBS's. I believe Deron Williams hit one for the Jazz to claim their one victory over the Lakers thus far.

NFL Draft
The primetime event was fun to flip to. I just dont care enough right now, mainly because the other big three sports are in full swing and taking up my attention...speaking of which...

How 'bout them Red Sox?!
9-0 homestand. I think the key for this team is winning on the road. They struggled at times to do that last year. Their performance Fenway is always good. Lets see what happens on the road. Ellsbury's steal of homebase was unreal. That series was unreal, especially as a Sox fan. To win three games in three completely different ways was great. The Yankees better sort out their bullpen or it could be a long summer of 16-11 games in the Bronx...

What to Watch for...

Rondo chasing the triple double again on Tuesday night. The C's return home in a must win (in my mind). I cannot see the Bulls managing to take 2 elimination games if the C's take game 5. Maybe Doc Rivers won't give the ball to Rondo at half court with 4.5 seconds left... maybe...

Sox are going on the road for 9 games. Finishing with 4 in Tampa Bay and 2 in New York. Could be in interesting study in the two Red Sox teams...

Will Ortiz start to hit? When do people start asking the question...you know THE question. Oh come on, are you gonna make me type it? Okay okay I will type it, when do they move him down in the order. Was that not the question you were thinking I was gonna ask? Well thats the one I am wondering about. I will put the date at Memorial Day. If he cannot get anything going by then, well then he has to be moved down. It isn't time to reward a guy for past performance.

Enjoy the week in sports. Check back for a Running Diary of game five between the C's and Bulls...

2 comments:

PaddyWaggn said...

Tip of the hat to Mr. Padden on the Le Mans link? C'MON!!

Anonymous said...

What a crazy FREAKIN week in sports-- no special holla for Ray Allen with two of the biggest 3s he'll hit in his career?


• Tung