Thursday, April 10, 2008

Technological Aide


I have been living in an apartment for the past month without a TV. I will give you a second while you pick yourself up off the floor. In this age of massive HDTV's I have been relegated to a 13 inch Dell laptop. This struggle, which some friends have witnessed, is pretty bad. I had a friend over on Saturday of the Elite-Eight, we spent most of the time squinting and trying to figure out what the score was.
This problem of no TV would have killed any sports fan 10 years ago, maybe even five years ago. They would have had to travel to a friend's house or camp out in a bar. Now, you can just log onto CBS.com and presto you have every game you want. I watched the fantastic Championship Game between Memphis and Kansas on my tiny screen as I willed myself to stay up. How many times have you watched a game, stayed up late and it just did not deliver. This game had the feel of a classic when the teams came out smoking in the second half. I stayed up...
I was about to pack it in when Memphis was up 7 with the ball. I was about to click on the "x" but then Kansas stole the ball and made it a 4 point game. I stayed up...
Then Chalmers hit his tying three after Chris Douglas-Roberts and Derrick Rose missed 5 of 6 free throws. I stayed up...
I woke up the next morning tired but glad I stayed up. It was too good a game to watch, it was too sweet to watch Calipari ignore the elephant in the room (free throw shooting) then have it smack him in the face with its trunk. 
If there is any lesson to the Kansas win, it is do not ignore an issue on your team when it could possibly be debilitating. As a Holy Cross grad who watched them miss too many free throws in upset bids, you have to hit your free throws. Simple as that.

Masters started yesterday, I love it. This tournament is the start of spring, and after the weather we had in the northeast yesterday it was right on time... Tiger wins, watch out for Steve Stricker though...he is too good a putter to not be near the top on Sunday. Freddie Couples will make the cut to break Gary Players' record of 23 straight cuts made... Back Monday with thoughts on the Masters and maybe (gulp) playoff hockey?

No comments: