Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Johnny Damon

Well first off because of our lack of effort our last blog was cancelled so here is the new one...oops...
Anyways I just wanted to sound off on the whole Johnny Damon return to Fenway thing. Basically I was in the camp that believed he should get nothing, no boos no cheers. I know he was an important part of a championship team, but didnt he get his cheers for that last season when he played in Boston. What exactly does he deserve now? He left Boston to go to the Yankees, it sucks...lets treat him with pure indifference, dont you think that that would bother a guy like Damon who is desperate for attention at all times? It would KILL him more if we just brushed off his return, if we made it known that we dont care...I know I dont miss him as a player...yet. I might, but right now I dont, and I am saying that with Coco Crisp on the DL. We have Big Wily Style Mo Pena playing in Centerfield right now.

However, because the fans decided to boo/cheer Damon I think Damon did something very classy that made me happy and I will tell you why. Damon stepped out of the mold of most athletes, he recognized a moment in the middle of a game. He tipped his cap to the fans and to the Sox players, I really liked that. We see athletes in all pro sports ignore the moment, ignore what is happening. Golfers hide behind their sunglasses and hats while hitting their shots and baseball players do the same thing. Damon stepped outside of that mold, it is in his personality to do it (he said he was planning on it beforehand), he loves the attention and he loves to be loved by all so he figured that it would help. But I think it was a genuine thing that he did, I think a lot of the people in the park realized that too because you could hear the boos shift a little to cheers. Whatever Damon meant by it, I liked it. It was nice to see an athlete recognize a moment and seem somewhat human, not like a robot paid to hit and run down fly balls.

No comments: